Sunday, April 3, 2011

Race preview: Big D Texas Marathon

WHERE ARE WE GOING?
Dallas, TX 

WHEN?
Sunday, Apr. 10 

WHY?
Big D Texas Marathon 

NO REALLY, WHY?
This is the second race in the Four Seasons Half Marathon Challenge, and yours truly is leading the thing, so I have plenty of motivation to do my best. I have no idea how they're going to normalize the standings for folks who are running the full, but I assume they'll take the time from the mat at the 13.1 mark, which is kinda bogus.

WHO ELSE IS GOING?
The red-headed stepchild of the Dallas marathon scene is expecting 900 runners, which seems optimistic given that the last several years have consistently drawn between 400 and 600. In fact, I would guess there will be no additional registrations at this point because...

WHAT'S THE FORECAST?
Awful: Upper 60s to upper 70s and breezy with a reasonable chance of a thunderstorm. Keep in mind, the average low for this time of year is still only 54. Just riffing, let's say we do get storms and the thing is called off. Do the Four Seasons folks have to start over? Or can we just run this one next year without having to run the Texas Half again? Just something to ponder.

HOW DO WE WIN?
By finishing. I have either broken my foot again or am on the cusp of it, so my mileage has been down for the last week and will be down for this week, too (in fact, I will probably take several more days off). The tendinitis I aggravated at Cowtown forced me to back off for a couple weeks, then my mileage spiked back to where it was and I ran a 10K and half marathon on back-to-back days in my lightest shoes. That's a recipe for a stress fracture right there. I planned to run-walk this race anyway, so that should help.

No comments:

Post a Comment