Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Race preview: Grandma's Marathon

WHERE ARE WE GOING?
Duluth, MN

WHEN?
Saturday, June 18

WHY?
Grandma's Marathon

NO REALLY, WHY?
My wife and I decided last summer we'd make this part of a trip to visit family and friends.

WHO ELSE IS GOING?
Not sure if this thing sold out but there will be more than 5,000 finishers (plus an equal number in the half).

WHAT'S THE FORECAST?
Partly sunny, maybe a shower, mid 50s at the start and just a couple degrees warmer by the end. I was hoping for a little cooler than that but I'll take the alternative: a healthy 15 mph tailwind expected from the east.

HOW DO WE WIN?
I don't know if the "BQ -5" rule for early Boston registration means that I need 3:10:00 or 3:10:59 -- it should be the latter -- but that alone is what decides whether this is a win. It's not a difficult course, my training has been lackluster but done in far worse conditions, and I'll be in the 3:10 pace group. It may be one in a million, but I'm telling you there's a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment