Friday, October 21, 2011

Race preview: 13.1 Dallas

WHERE ARE WE GOING?
Dallas, Texas

WHEN?
Saturday, Oct. 22

WHY?
13.1 Dallas

NO REALLY, WHY?
When the race was announced a year ago, I was one of the first 100 to sign up and got in for a mere 38 bucks. In fact, I signed up so long ago they changed the race date since then (it was going to be the next day).

WHO ELSE IS GOING?
Not sure. It looks like this event will get off to a fast start as the replacement to the Uptown Run, a very popular 8-miler. With the DRC Half coming up in a couple weeks you wouldn't think there would be a huge demand for another half right here, but it looks like I'll have close to 2,000 folks joining me.

WHAT'S THE FORECAST?
Mostly sunny, 62 at the start, 66 at the finish, light winds, somewhat humid. Used to be I'd write these previews the Sunday before the race but at least my procrastination makes this section a little better.

HOW DO WE WIN?
Initially I had a feeling that this favorable course and the placement on the calendar would give me an outside shot at sniffing my PR (1:29:51). But it's gonna be just a little too warm for that and besides, I've caught a cold that is really starting to hit its crescendo. Maybe I'll be fresher having skipped yesterday's run, but I'm certainly not at full strength. A good comparison race should be the White Rock Centennial half (1:35:12). I'll make that my target.

No comments:

Post a Comment