Thursday, January 26, 2012

Race preview: Miracle Match Marathon

WHERE ARE WE GOING?
Waco, Texas

WHEN?
Sunday, Jan. 29

WHY?
Miracle Match Marathon

NO REALLY, WHY?
It's my last long run before Rouge-Orleans. And doing the whole no-repeats thing with marathons, I was bound to hit this one sooner or later.

WHO ELSE IS GOING?
This race averaged 176 finishers over the last 2 years, when it settled into its slot on the last weekend in January after years as an October event.

WHAT'S THE FORECAST?
Tights will be a game-time decision, it appears. The starting temperature should be with a couple degrees of freezing. Which side it's on will determine what I go with. There should be a gentle breeze from the east and not a cloud in the sky, getting into the low 40s by the finish.

HOW DO WE WIN?

I'll be honest here, I have completely forgotten on more than one occasion over the last few weeks that I was even running this thing. I've been looking past this to Rouge-Orleans, and Boston and Big Sur beyond that. Big-time hill training should have been in the plan, but R-O has no hills and so I haven't been running any. Repeated issues with my left leg have also killed my long runs going back to the New Year's Double. So I hate to say that just finishing would be winning, but my bar is set low.

No comments:

Post a Comment