Monday, February 25, 2013

Race preview: Sugar Land Half Marathon

WHERE ARE WE GOING?
Sugar Land, Texas

WHEN?
Sunday, Mar. 3


WHY?
Memorial Hermann Sugar Land Half Marathon

NO REALLY, WHY?
Back in July, there was a registration blitz that let me get into this race for 25 bucks. That's a great price for a half marathon, so I signed up. Of course, add in a tank of gas each way and a hotel room for the night and it's not exactly a $25 race anymore, but just don't worry about that.


WHO ELSE IS GOING?
The race is capped at 1,300 and they're telling me over 1,000 folks are signed up. There were 779 finishers last year in the 2nd edition of the race.

WHAT'S THE FORECAST?
It's looking awesome: clear skies, upper 40s, just a little bit of a north breeze that should only be a minor issue for the last 10 minutes of the race, if at all.

HOW DO WE WIN?

If I had finished Rocky Raccoon and recovered well, I'd be looking at this race, with its flat course and ideal weather, as a potential PR. But after taking a couple weeks off to rehabilitate my Achilles, I'm not sure I have more than a couple 6:48 miles in me, let alone 13.1 in a row. Plus, I'm doing 10 miles with my running club on Saturday. So, I'm just going to try to run a steady race, finish strong and feel like I had a good workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment