Monday, May 20, 2013

Race preview: Texas Threesome

WHERE ARE WE GOING?
Dallas, Texas

WHEN?
Saturday, May 25 through Monday, May 27


WHY?
Texas Threesome (specifically, the MS Marathon, Jim's Goose Chase Marathon and Bachman Memorial Day Marathon)

NO REALLY, WHY?
The Year of Stupid reaches a new high (or low) with 3 marathons in 3 days. Sure, it's a thinly-veiled effort to move up a notch in the Marathon Maniacs hierarchy, but if we're going to get into gimmicks, I'd rather be about this and not some electric zombie color run.


WHO ELSE IS GOING?
Last year 15 folks ran on Saturday, 27 on Sunday and 21 on Monday. All but 1 of Saturday's field ran all 3 days. Laps around Bachman Lake starting at 5 a.m. doesn't jazz a whole lot of people, I guess.

WHAT'S THE FORECAST?
I expect pretty oppressive conditions with temperatures and humidity both in the 70s.

HOW DO WE WIN?

With very small fields of mid-packers and slower -- the average finish time last year was north of 5:40 -- I'll be up there in the standings, which really won't matter for anything because I don't think there are awards. The first goal, of course, is to still be healthy come next Tuesday. After that I'd like to be under 12 cumulative hours, and ultimately under 4:00 each day. I'm hoping that getting a chunk of miles in before the sun comes up will work in my favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment