Sunday, January 2, 2011

Race preview: First Light Marathon

WHERE ARE WE GOING?
Mobile, AL

WHEN?
Sunday, Jan. 9

WHY?
BankTrust First Light Marathon

NO REALLY, WHY?
After putting together my 2011 race schedule, I heard that the Marathon Maniacs had better candy, so I rearranged things to fit a 3rd marathon within a 90-day window -- the "easiest" way to qualify. This was the best fit.

WHO ELSE IS GOING?
The full marathon field should top out at just 500, though there's pretty good national representation in that small group. The field size is surely held down by the fact that there's another very much larger race the same day, not terribly far away. In a sense, this is the anti-Disney.

WHAT'S THE FORECAST?
Mid-30s start, mid-40s finish, gusty north winds, one-in-four chance of rain. This could be really, really rough.

HOW DO WE WIN?
It's probably not reasonable to think I can pull off a PR only 4 weeks after Tucson. I'm going to run this one by the Galloway method -- run 5 minutes, walk 30 seconds -- and see where it gets me. Third place in my age group has averaged 3:26:08 over the last 5 years, so that's certainly something to shoot for.

WHAT'S THE PLAN?
Core work Monday, Thursday and Friday -- this is going to be more of a priority now on days that I don't run. Couple easy miles Tuesday and 3 Wednesday to break in the shoes I'll be racing in (they'll come by UPS on Monday). Drive to Mobile on Saturday and loosen up with a couple more miles, and off we go Sunday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment