Sunday, January 16, 2011

Race preview: Too Cold to Hold 15K

WHERE ARE WE GOING?
Dallas, TX

WHEN?
Sunday, Jan. 23

WHY?
Too Cold to Hold 15K

NO REALLY, WHY?
This race sort of fits into my longer-term training for Cowtown. I'm supposed to run for 90 minutes; this won't take me that long so consider it a speed workout of sorts.

WHO ELSE IS GOING?
The race has had terrific growth over the last few years, and thanks to a big marketing push and great weather I expect that to continue this year with over 800 finishers in the 15K.

WHAT'S THE FORECAST?
Upper 30s, light winds, no rain. Just about as good as you're gonna get.

HOW DO WE WIN?
The goal here is pretty easily defined: PR. I set my 15K PR at the 2010 edition of this event, but 1:06:38 is pretty low-hanging fruit by now. Even with the course re-mapped (I think) to go up the hill at the Winfrey Point parking lot, I plan to break my PR at a minimum -- I'll be looking to go under 1:05 to consider myself pleased. (The age group awards will be gone in 60 minutes so that's not even on the radar.)

WHAT'S THE PLAN?
Very easy mileage all week: 2 Tuesday, 3 Wednesday, 4 Thursday, 6 Saturday. Then I'll lace up the racing shoes in competition for the first time and go kill this thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment