Monday, February 21, 2011

Race preview: Cowtown 5K and Ultra

WHERE ARE WE GOING?
Fort Worth, TX

WHEN?
Saturday, Feb. 26 and Sunday, Feb. 27

WHY?
Cowtown 5K (Saturday) and Ultra (Sunday)

NO REALLY, WHY?
Sunday will be my first ultramarathon and serve as the gateway to my first 50-miler later this year and my first (and second and third) 100 next year. It will also qualify me for entry into Marathon Maniacs. Saturday's race was a late toss-in once the organizers offered a challenge medal for running both days. (I'm using "race" loosely as I will be ending my 6-race PR streak on purpose -- no way I'm doing anything crazy on the eve of a 50K.)

WHO ELSE IS GOING?
The 5K should have well over 4,000 folks. The ultra is capped at 500 but will probably draw half that many.

WHAT'S THE FORECAST?
The predictions right now are all over the place but it's looking like about 45 for the 5K and low 50s warming to low 60s for the ultra. I'd swap those in a heartbeat but I learned this past weekend I'm still OK with upper 50s.

HOW DO WE WIN?
There won't be any winning on Saturday, but Sunday I'll get a small victory just by finishing, as I'll have met the two goals I mentioned earlier. My next goal would be to break 4 hours, which is likely to happen if and only if I hit the ultimate stretch goal of 3:10:59 at the 26.2 mat. I'm going to go as far as I can with the 3:10 pacer -- and maybe I'll wish later that I had run-walked, but I'll save the guessing games for then. Ultra awards go to age-group winners only and there's no danger of that happening for me.

WHAT'S THE PLAN?
Just a couple easy miles Tuesday and 3 on Wednesday. If I have time Thursday maybe I'll work in some leisurely bike time at the gym.

1 comment:

  1. Best of luck on the Ultra. I'll be one of the 500 folks out there too. I'm thinking it will be super hot on Sunday. heat wave! Enjoy both races.

    -dom

    ReplyDelete