Friday, March 11, 2011

Race preview: Dash Down Greenville

WHERE ARE WE GOING?
Dallas, TX

WHEN?
Saturday, Mar. 12

WHY?
Dash Down Greenville

NO REALLY, WHY?
The DDG was my very first race back in 2008. I've run it each year since and plan to keep that streak going until I can't put one foot in front of the other anymore. Aside from the sentimental value of it being my debut race, it's quite the party and it benefits a very important organization, the North Texas Food Bank.

WHO ELSE IS GOING?
More than 3,000 will be timed, possibly a couple thousand more won't, and still thousands more will be lined up on Greenville making a whole lot of noise as they start drinking at 8 a.m.

WHAT'S THE FORECAST?Not perfect but not bad: 57 degrees or so, partly cloudy, south winds around 10 mph but picking up. That should make for a quick start and a quick finish, with the stretch from mile 1.5 to 2.4 into the wind.

HOW DO WE WIN?
I have no shot at an age-group award; I'd need to go well under 19:00 to even get close. So my goal will simply be to take down my 19:55 PR. McMillan says I should be at 19:20; I'd need a 19:14 to break my age-graded PR. I ran a 20:17 on this course last year but I have more of an actual plan this time around.

WHAT'S THE PLAN?
I ran a couple miles Thursday in what is seeming like my first pain-free run since Cowtown. I'll probably repeat this Friday to keep the blood flowing and have a chance to really stretch my calves. Then I'll take the train to the race Saturday. If you're doing this race and have a chance, please please please take the train, especially if you have someone to hold your stuff while you run.

No comments:

Post a Comment