Monday, May 28, 2012

Race preview: Old Dominion 100

WHERE ARE WE GOING?
Woodstock, VA


WHEN?
Saturday, June 2


WHY?
Old Dominion 100

NO REALLY, WHY?
I thought this would be a race I ran while taking advantage of one last chance to get my daughter back to see her grandpa without having to buy her own seat on the plane. After my injury and DNF at Rouge-Orleans, things got a lot more serious. This one's for redemption.


WHO ELSE IS GOING?
This race has undergone a strong recovery to its prior glory over the past decade since the 2002 race was canceled. Last year 68 runners started and 49 finished, with 37 going under 24 hours. With this year's race projected to be 12 degrees cooler than last year I expect all of these numbers to go up.

WHAT'S THE FORECAST?
There might be a lingering shower or thunderstorm on Saturday but for now it looks like much of the rain will come Friday. We should start in the mid-50s and only reach the low 70s before cooling back to the low 50s Saturday night. By comparison it was 92 today. We may get very lucky.

HOW DO WE WIN?

I paraphrased Yoda in summing up my mission for this race: Do or do not, there is no "try". There is also no "do not". In the lead-up to Rouge-Orleans I cared more about starting. For Old Dominion I care more about finishing. I do not plan to fly home next week wondering what went wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment